Advanced Programs: ALP K-8 & AP®
What is the ALP Program?
Our school partners with K12 to offer an Advanced Learner Program (ALP) to provide further educational advancement, including a wide spectrum of curriculum options and enrichment activities. K12 developed the Advanced Learner Program in close alignment with guidelines established by the National Association for Gifted Children.
The Advanced Learner Program world-wide offers enrichment opportunities, including monthly National Learning Circles, monthly ALP club meetings, and a Speaker Series for ALP parents.
In National Learning Circles, we have expert and teacher presenters, who present enrichment topics in a live, online ‘Class Connect’ session. Students are invited to create follow-up presentations on a topic of interest to them. It’s a fantastic learning opportunity for our students.
One National Learning Circle was called “Extreme Astronomy.” It was led by K12 teacher Pat Keeney, who was an educational consultant to NASA for 10 years. More than 200 students from around the world participated. Other learning Circles have been on such topics as “Dinosaur Discoveries” and “Careers in Math.”
The K12 ALP program for grades K-8 provides educational opportunities for your child across a wide spectrum of curriculum options and enrichment activities. Essentially, we're committed to whatever it takes to optimize each child's learning experience. Below is a list of such initiatives:
- Topic Enrichment
- Monthly Club Meetings Aimed at Challenging the Advanced Learner
- Access to the K12 Premiere Learning Circles
- Parent Training Seminars That Provide Support for Working with the Advanced Learner
We are proud to offer Advanced Learner Options to our students.
K12 International Academy empowers students to enrich their education by enrolling in Advanced Placement (AP) courses that are part of the AP Program.
What is the AP® Program?
- Nationally-recognized program operated by the College Board
- Courses offer high level of academic challenge
- Opportunity for high school students to enroll in college-level courses
- Rigorous program with standardized national exams
Why enroll in an AP® Course?
- Challenging and interesting curriculum
- College preparation
- Possible college credit
- Recognition in the college admission process
Current AP Course Offering at K12 International Academy
Two semester courses
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Chemistry
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Environmental Science
- AP French Language and Culture
- AP Spanish Language and Culture
- AP Statistics
- AP U.S. History
- AP World History
One semester courses
- AP U.S. Government and Politics
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP Microeconomics
- AP Psychology
- The AP Exams are offered every May and test students’ mastery of the AP coursework.
- Students can earn scores ranging from 1 to 5 and depending upon their scores can earn college credit.
AP Exam Preparation
For most K12 AP courses, AP Exam Reviews are available.
- AP Exam Reviews help prepare students for AP Exams in May.
- These reviews are offered to schools free of charge.
- Using a diagnostic tool, AP Exam Reviews push students through material rapidly, in order to focus on topics where students need the most help.
Our overall average score in 2014 on the AP Exam was 3.53, when the national average was 2.99.
* A passing rate on the AP Exam is a 3, as this means that the student submitted qualified work and successfully demonstrated the mastery of college-level content.
Click to read past and current AP Newsletters